So much happened in 2017, yet I can’t recall a lot of specifics. Aside from watching my beloved country repeatedly punch itself in the face, most of the year’s events are blended together in a sort of bachelor party blur, not knowing if something really happened, while it slowly transforms into urban legend status. On the personal side, while being an active father, husband and teacher is extremely rewarding, it has become near impossible to tell one year from the next: day to day changes seems to happen at a snail’s pace, but years pass in the blink of an eye. What I do remember is that while most of the year was business as usual, the last half of the year was chaotic and challenging. In addition to my responsibilities as an AP English teacher, I was also given the privilege and workload of teaching AP Computer Science and Intro to Video Production. While I have professional experience in both of those fields, I had to reach pretty far back into my bag of tricks to remember the skills that I once used on an almost daily basis. And as a result of this honor, I had to apply for a supplemental credential, which I was thankfully able to earn based on past work experience.
On a real personal note, I turned 40 this year. And I can hear you muttering right now, “age is just a number” yes, I know the script- “you’re only as old as you feel”, but I think 40 represents a lot more than just a passage of time. It is a milestone that really does cause for reflection and I’m still working through that reflection, in fact this article is probably the first step in that process as I try to set in motion for what I expect from myself over the next 10 years.
Looking Forward >>
I’ve become somewhat disenchanted with making resolutions since so many, though not all of my past resolutions fail due to circumstances beyond my control, but I do feel that setting some sort of goal is essential to making the most out of life. Those carrots on the stick are necessary for getting out of bed each morning and convincing yourself that there is always a great deal of progress to be made. So my list of goals this year is based on what is possible and what I feel is achievable. Some are measurable, some idealistic, but all within my ability and control, so without further delay, in no particular order, here is my list of goals for 2018:
- Write More, Write Often
- Continue to grow my YouTube Channel (GeekBuilders) to at least 10k followers
- Grow readership of Synapses & Lollipops to at least 10k a month
- Work with my co hosts to continue to grow and develop our podcast MakingGeeks.com
- Get at least 3 channel/site sponsors (1 is already in the works)
- Give a public speech or presentation
- Continue to help my kids grow and develop their ability to create and problem solve
- Continue to help my wife in her business endeavors
- Lose that weight that everyone has been trying to lose for the last 20 years
- See my parents more
- Make more time for friends and family
- Completing some home renovations that are about 3 years overdue
I honestly hope that everyone has an amazing 2018. Work with your hands, work with your heart, and work to make your community a better place.